Ministry of Health has on Thursday June 4 said 15 more people had tested positive for Covid-19 as Uganda’s tally of confirmed cases rose to 522.
Four of the new cases are truck drivers who arrived from Tanzania via Mutukula while two cases are from Busia.
The Ministry of Health said nine cases are alerts and contacts to previously confirmed cases.
Of these, three are from Amuru, one is from Buikwe District and two are from Kyotera District, one from Nakaseke, one from Lira and one from Kampala.
Relatedly, 33 positive foreign truck drivers were handed over to their country of origin.
To date, the ministry of health says 82 people who previously tested positive for the virus have recovered and have been discharged from hospitals across the country.
Meanwhile, Gulu district chairman Ojara Martin Mapenduzi and journalists from four different radio stations have been placed under self isolation after coming in contact with a positive case.
Apparently, the Ministry of Health has started testing journalists who are covering COVID-19 related activities to ensure that they are safe and not able to pass on the virus.
Permanent Secretary Diana Atwine said since the ministry of health keeps testing themselves every two weeks, journalists are not tested for the virus and yet they interact with different people everyday.
“When you test negative, you become very careful. We want to ensure the journalists we work with safe,” said Dr Atwiine.
When government announced the national lockdown, journalists were allowed to continue working because of the role with provides to educate, inform and entertain and execute the watch dog service to the country.
In keeping the ministry ‘s and WHO guidelines of preventing the disease, most media houses themselves from getting their staff infected.