The Ministry of Health has confirmed 23 new coronavirus cases— extending Uganda’s cumulative total to 979.
The new infections were identified from 2,219 samples tested on June 22.
In the latest update, Ministry of Health says the new cases include 18 community infections and five truck drivers who were identified from different border districts and entry points.
Five of the confirmed cases are truck drivers; three arrived from Kenya via Malaba while two arrived from South Sudan via Elegu and Bungana points of entry.
The Ministry of Health says 18 of the confirmed cases are community infections or contacts and alerts to previously confirmed cases.
10 of these were identified from Tororo, three from Amuru one of which was an illegal entrant and was detected at Elegu border.
The other cases were identified from Kyotera (4) and Yumbe (1) districts. The Ministry of Health says all these were under quarantine at the time of test.
Additionally, a total of 13 foreign truck drivers (8 Kenyans, 2 Tanzanians, 1 Burundian, 1 Rwandan and 1 Eritrean) tested positive and were handed over to their respective country of origin.
President Museveni on Monday June 22 opened 33 border districts including Yumbe, Isingiro among others. He however said districts with potential clusters of infections including Rakai, Kyotera, Amuru, Buikwe, Gulu, Arua, Adjumani, Moyo, and Nebi are still under investigation.
He also said districts with refugees including Zombo, Adjumani and Arua remained closed
to allow time to test the refugees and a risk profiling before the final decision is made.
He also said Busia and Bulisa remain still need more comprehensive surveillance and testing to inform next decision.