46th Uganda Cup (Round of 64):
Wednesday, 22nd January – All games kick off at 4 PM:
- Kajjansi United Vs Vipers – Mutesa II Wankukukuku
- Busia Young Vs Busoga United – Busia Intergrated Primary School, Busia
- Bugamba Vs Onduparaka – Bugamba Ground
Round of 64 Results so far:
Monday: Kakira United 1-2 Mbarara City
- Katwe United 1-2 Proline
- StarLight 2-3 Tooro United
- Kiryandongo Town Council 1-3 Kigezi Homeboyz
World over, derby games are tense and close contested.
Seldom will one ever find such matches a mere walk in the park.
As the 2016 Uganda Cup winners Vipers Sports Club prepare to take on their “noisy neighbors”; Kajjansi United, mouth-watering football is anticipated.
The two clubs will lock horns in a round of 64 Uganda Cup contest at the Mutesa II Wankulukuku Stadium on Wednesday.
The Potters, a third tier side will come face to face with a top flight club, arguably among the country’s best.
Both clubs have not taken chances to prepare for this duel. Vipers who normally train on astro turf trained on natural grass at the Kisubi Technical play ground. Kajjansi United played a friendly game against second tier Kansai Plascon on Monday at Wankulukuku stadium (Kajjansi lost 1-0).
It will be a battle of tactics from the respective technical benches with Moses “Jajja Moze” Ssenyonga at the helm of Kajjansi United as Edward Golola leads the cast of coaches at Vipers.
Golola asserts that there will be no room for underrating the opponents, and thus vehemently warns his charges.
“First of all, I want to thank the tournament sponsors Stanbic Bank. We shall not underrate Kajjansi United and we shall take a full strength team” Golola disclosed to the team media.
Ssenyonja is equally expectant; “Vipers SC is a strong side but we are more than ready for the big challenge ahead of us. I believe my players will play their hearts out to get the best result. I call upon our fans to come in numbers to rally behind our team as we hope for victory on Wednesday” he is quoted by the local media.
Sadly, team captain Halid Lwaliwa misses because he lost his mother and left back Azizi Kayondo will be subjected to a late fitness test following an earlier bout of malaria.
The other two matches slated for Wednesday will see Busia Young host Busoga United at the Busia Intergrated Primary School in Busia and Bugamba will entertain Onduparaka at the Bugamba ground.
The Uganda Cup competition is played on a knock out basis and it has been held since 1971.
Proline is the current cup holder.
Other Games for Round of 64:
Thursday, 23rd January:
- Koboko Rising Stars Vs Bright Stars – Nyarilo Ground, Koboko
- Super Eagles Vs SC Villa – Pece War Memorial Stadium, Gulu
- Young Elephants Vs Maroons – Olwio St Mark Ground, Nwoya
- Six O’clock Vs Kitara – Kizinda Play ground
- Kampala University Vs Kataka – Kampala University, Luweero
- Gagaba Vs Kiboga Young – Buziga Islamic Ground
Friday, 24th January:
- Mvara Boys Vs BUL – Arua PTC Ground
- Catida Vs KCCA – Star Times Stadium, Lugogo
- Lugazi Municipal Vs URA – Mehta Stadium, Lugazi
- Soroti Vs Kansai Plascon – Soroti Stadium
- Chimpanzee Vs Nyamityobora – Ntandi Ground
- Fire Fire Vs Light SSS – Kyambogo College Ground
- FHL Vs Ndejje University – Illi Valley Ground
- Free Stars Vs Saviours – UCU Ground, Mukono
Saturday, 25th January:
- Admin Vs Police – Paya Primary School ground, Tororo
- Bugoigo Vs Wakiso Giants – Bugoigo Ground, Buliisa
- Sansiro Vs Kyetume – Omerien Primary School, Kumi
- Mbale Garage Vs UPDF – Mbale SSS, Ground
Sunday, 26th January:
- St Marys Vs Express – Nabweru
- Kigezi Vs Bukedea Town Council – Kabale Municipal Ground
- Dove Vs New Villa – Katusabe Ground, Masindi
- Gadafi Vs MYDA – Gadafi Ground, Jinja
- U-Touch Vs Water – Pece War Memorial Stadium, Gulu
- Luweero United Vs Doves All Stars – Kasaala Ground, Luweero
- Spartans Vs Paidha Black Angels – Mashariki Ground, Katale (Off Entebbe road)